Monday, August 1, 2011

Cáceres - a must visit city in Spain for sure

I had the earliest start so far at 5:00am.  This is because I had 40kms to walk today and the only way for me to avoid the blazing afternoon heat is to start as early as possible.  I was exhausted and fatigued when I arrived at roughly 2pm but it was worth it.  Cáceres is absolutely remarkable.  It is definitely my favourite city so far.  No wonder it is named a World Heritage site by the U.N.  What I like most about it is that it is not tourist-infested.  It is very well-preserved.  I also noticed a strong Franciscan and Claretian presence in the city.  There is a simple but beautiful Franciscan friary and Poor Clare convent.

I also like the fact that it is not commercialized, as proven by the fact that everything is closed on Sunday.  It was a joy to see families having some family time at the park, walking their dog and eating ice cream.  The walled part of the city is quite extraordinary.  It had buildings and churches from the ancient times and are still remarkably intact.  Walking inside felt like you're in a fairy tale.  Cáceres is definitely a must-visit for those who prefer smaller cities, dislike huge crowds of tourists, like historical and cultural monuments and buildings.  You will not be disappointed.


This is the water reservoir that provided water to Mérida.

I arrived there just in time; the sun was about to rise so I could have a good look at the dam and the roman structures built around it that got the water onto the aqueducts.  It was really cool.


Arriving in Cáceres.

Here are some more snapshots I took while I walked the streets of marvelous Cáceres.






World Youth Day in two weeks!!!

Huge huge Plaza Mayor!

More of Plaza Mayor

Even more of Plaza Mayor!

I attended mass at this church.

The Albergue I stayed at.  It had an airconditioner which was a God-send for me, hence the big smile on my face.  I was very fatigued by the long and hot day.  It was the most exhausted I have ever been so far on this Camino.  So the airconditioner helped greatly in my recuperation.

No comments:

Post a Comment