Monday, August 1, 2011

Mérida - Roman Ruins (to the max) Galore.

I only had 16kms to walk today but I took an early start anyway at 6am because I want to have as much time to spend in Mérida, which is THE Roman Centre of all of Spain.  It had the longest roman bridge in the entire Roman Empire.  It also has an amphiteatre, a forum and temples - which took the same model as the ones found in Rome.

Sun rising at 7am.  I have to use my headlamp from 6 to about 6:45 because it's too dark to see the path.


Ran into a heard of goats, a rare and exciting occasion.


Dramatic arrival in Mérida - by crossing the longest roman bridge in the history of the Roman Empire.

I had to take a self-portrait in this 'dramatic' moment. :)


The best I could take a photo of the amphitheatre - I didn't pay to get in (still on pilgrim's budget).  This photo was taken from the outside the gates.


Very cool!

This is where they had chariot races and stuff... it reminded me of a few movies.


Roman Aqueduct - which the Romans built to provide the city with access to water.  This aqueduct could transport water from a water reservoir kilometres away from the city.  It's quite remarkable!


Mérida Basilica

More aqueduct remains...


Even more aqueducts!


Diana's temple, where Romans worshipped.


After a long day of walking and sightseeing, I sat down at Plaza de España while I ate a self-prepared Turkey baguette sandwhich.  It was a delightful end to a long and tiring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment